BA (Hons) Heritage Interior Design
About This Course
The BA (Hons) Heritage Interior Design course is aimed at students who are passionate about heritage interior design and crave the opportunity to further enhance their knowledge and skill set of this specialist market. This course offers students the opportunity to specialise and focus on their main area of interest; older properties, whilst also enabling them to learn more about the complex design considerations necessary when looking to redesign listed or period properties.
Course Type :
Study Mode :
Degree awarded by Staffordshire University
Career Advancement Areas
The BA (Hons) Heritage Interior Design course offers students the opportunity to promote themselves to clients and employers as a professional interior designer with a specialist knowledge of older buildings and with a proven academic knowledge of the design world.
Many of our students will be employed in a design-based company where they hold a designer role specialising in older properties. Alternatively, we have many students who have set up their own interior design practices that focus on listed buildings and heritage design or alternatively those who wish to work on a freelance basis.
What You Will Learn
- MODULE 1. RESEARCH AND CONTEXTUALISATION (30 Credits) – This Module introduces the research skills and methods which will to help you to locate and retrieve information and which you will use throughout the remainder of the Degree programme.
- MODULE 2. SPACE PLANNING (30 Credits) – This Module investigates the way that interior space may be organised according to a particular set of requirements. Such requirements vary according to the designated function of an interior.
- MODULE 3. DESIGN IN HISTORICAL CONTEXT (30 Credits) – Interior design is continually changing and has been moving forward for centuries.
- MODULE 4. TRADITIONAL DESIGN TECHNIQUES (30 Credits) – This Module investigates those traditional design techniques and specialist paint finishes used when restoring or decorating traditional, historic or important houses primarily from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- MODULE 5. DESIGN FOR LISTED BUILDINGS (30 Credits) – This Module will enable the understanding of the constraints, procedures and processes involved in the restoration and interior design of listed buildings.
- MODULE 6. WALL, FLOOR AND WINDOW TREATMENTS FOR HERITAGE BUILDINGS (30 Credits) – Walls, floors and windows are fundamental elements of interior design and the way that they are treated or decorated can completely transform the way that an interior looks and feels.
- MODULE 7. PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE (30 Credits) – This Module will take you step-by-step through the stages of establishing and running your own interior design practice.
- MODULE 8. LEVEL 5 HERITAGE DESIGN FINAL PROJECT (30 Credits) – Within this Module, you will be encouraged to evidence your creativity through the research, development and completion of a specific major heritage design project.
- MODULE 9. HERITAGE CONVERSIONS (30 Credits) – The conversion or remodelling of existing buildings within the Heritage sector is an increasingly popular way of providing residential, leisure or business accommodation to a market which requires contemporary technology and comforts embedded within a building or location which retains a sense of history.
- MODULE 10. RESEARCH STUDY PROJECT (30 Credits) – Within this Module, an area of study will be selected in consultation with your tutor and a title for discussion identified.
- MODULE 11. INDEPENDENT STUDY PROJECT (60 Credits) – This Module is a double-length Module based upon clear proposals with specific criteria established in discussion with your tutor.
NDA Level 3 Diploma/NVQ or City & Guilds in a related subject/One A Level in a design related subject /Successful completion of an Art Foundation
Year at College or University/We welcome applications from mature students with a CV showing previous interior design experience
Who Should Register?
The BA (Hons) Heritage Interior Design course is the ideal course for those wishing to enter into
the world of work as an interior designer with a specialist interest in heritage style.