BA (Hons) Degree in Retail Design
About This Course
The BA (Hons) in Retail Design course offers students the opportunity to specialise and focus on, their main area of interest; designing for the retail sector. This course offers students a more in-depth and professional approach to specific design projects with an emphasis on retail design. Not only will this course allow students to possess the unique and highly sought after skills of a retail designer, but will also provide them with a fully accredited BA (Hons) degree qualification to add to their CV, an essential element in such a competitive and growing market.
Course Type :
Study Mode :
Degree awarded by Staffordshire University
Career Advancement Areas
The BA (Hons) Retail Design course offers students the opportunity to promote themselves to clients and employers as a professional interior designer with a specialist knowledge of the retail space with proven academic knowledge of the design world.
Many of our students will go on to be employed in a design-based company, where they hold a specialist retail designer role. Alternatively, we have many students who have set up their own interior design practices that focus on the retail design market or alternatively those who choose to work on a freelance basis.
What You Will Learn
- MODULE 1. RESEARCH AND CONTEXTUALISATION (30 Credits) – This Module introduces the research skills and methods which will to help you to locate and retrieve information and which you will use throughout the remainder of the Degree programme.
- MODULE 2. SPACE PLANNING (30 Credits) – This Module investigates the way that interior space may be organised according to a particular set of requirements. Such requirements vary according to the designated function of an interior.
- MODULE 3. THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE (30 Credits) – The development of retail environments and their expansion into the provision of a distinct retail experience is one of the most dynamic and exciting products of our culture.
- MODULE 4. BRANDING (30 Credits) – Within this Module, you will study the development and application of branding within a retail environment.
- MODULE 5. VISUAL COMMUNICATION AND MERCHANDISING (30 Credits) – Visual communication and merchandising are integral parts of the marketing process within a retail environment and are essential to the successful presentation of products or businesses to a retailer’s customer base.
- MODULE 6. SUSTAINABLE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY (30 Credits) – Responsible and sustainable design is an essential consideration for the contemporary interior designer.
- MODULE 7. PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE (30 Credits) – This Module will take you step-by-step through the stages of establishing and running your own interior design practice.
- MODULE 8. LEVEL 5 RETAIL DESIGN FINAL PROJECT (30 Credits) – Within this Module, you will be encouraged to evidence your creativity through the research, development and completion of a specific major retail design project.
- MODULE 9. EXHIBITION DESIGN (30 Credits) – Within this Module two main exhibition design approaches will be examined; the commercial trade exhibition stand format and the role of the designer within permanent public gallery spaces and interpretive installations.
- MODULE 10. RETAIL SPACE IN A WIDER CONTEXT (30 Credits) – Within this Module, you will consider specific factors which influence the design of those retail environments which are, in turn, located within other environments.
- MODULE 11. RESEARCH STUDY PROJECT (30 Credits) – Within this Module, an area of study will be selected in consultation with your tutor and a title for discussion identified.
- MODULE 12. INDEPENDENT STUDY PROJECT (60 Credits) – This Module is a double-length Module based upon clear proposals with specific criteria established in discussion with your tutor.
NDA Level 3 Diploma/NVQ or City & Guilds in a related subject/One A Level in a design related subject /Successful completion of an Art Foundation
Year at College or University/We welcome applications from mature students with a CV showing previous interior design experience
Who Should Register?
The BA (Hons) Degree in Retail Design is the ideal course for those wishing to pursue a career as a professional interior designer with a keen interest in
retail design or alternatively anyone seeking to expand their knowledge and skill set of the interior design retail market.